Thursday 29 September 2016

Multiple Flash - Work Diary

For my Multiple Flash shoot, I decided to use the studio instead of on location, due to being able to control my light settings more and not having flash equipment that I can bring to a shoot on location. I used spotlights as my flash, which had to be triggered manually, meaning I had to borrow somebody else to trigger it.
This is my favourite photo from my multiple flash shoot. This was taken with an exposure of 6" and an aperture of f16. One of the thing I like about this photo is how it's framed; there's not a full face shown in the frame, which I feel goes with there being several faces in the image in creating a very surreal atmosphere. I also like the use of colour and tone; there are not bright colours in the image, with almost the entire image consisting of black and white, barring the pale muted shades of the faces. The small range of colours creates connotations of fear and sadness. There has also been effective use of tone in this photo as there some very pale and light tones shown in my subject's face, as well as very dark tones shown in his shirt and the background. This creates a wide tonal range.

This is an image from my shoot that I feel didn't go well. This was also taken on 6" and f16. One of the main thing I feel went wrong with this photo is the framing; some of the wall is visible next to background, which ruins the effect of complete darkness shown in the other photo, meaning there is less of an atmosphere of sadness made. I also feel I used too long an exposure for the movements I directed my subject to do in this shot. I shot on a 6 second exposure, and my subject had extreme movements, therefore the resulting image couldn't quite capture strong snapshots of stages in his movement. The fact he moved so much meant there were not any points where you could clearly see him in shot, which I feel takes away from the effect the photo should have had.

I am unlikely to use this technique in my project, because although it interests me, I don't own equipment that will make this possible on location, and getting access to it may be expensive. However, if I am able to access this equipment, I may be able to incorporate this into some of my shoots in Urban areas.

1 comment:

  1. For this shoot and all of the techniques work diaries you were asked to record the camera settings and note the equipment used to successfully achieve the result. You should reference the camera settings in terms of the visual outcomes achieved.

    ReplyDelete