Thursday 22 September 2016

Blur - Work Diary

For my Blur photoshoot, I decided that I wanted to shoot on location, because I wanted to find some candid opportunities to capture motion blur. First, I went to a busy road near me to try and capture some cars in motion. My second location was just outside my town's bus station, on top of a multi story car park, as I wanted some bird's eye view blur shots of buses coming past.

Taken on f14, 1/10 exposure

This is my favourite image from my blur photoshoot. I shot this on a very busy road near the town, just after the traffic lights had turned green. I liked this photo because of the way it's framed; the two cars are both fully in frame and the image was shot when they were almost in the same position, meaning there is a large amount of motion blur captured. Also, I liked the use of a wide depth of field, as it meant both cars were in focus. Additionally, it was exposed well; the basic features of the cars are visible, whereas if it had been overexposed, it would have been unclear what the blurring in the photo was. As well as being a successful blur image, I think this image successfully incorporated the formal element. For example, The photo features some leading lines, shown through the curbs at the side of the road and the white lines on the road, both of which lead you to the cars. It also features a wide range of colours; there are some muted shades of red on the buildings in the background, as well as the shades of black on the cars. There are also some saturated shades of green shown on the trees in the background.

 
Here's an image that I feel was less successful. Although there's lots of motion blur shown in this image, I was less  happy with how this image was framed than the previous image. While the previous image kept the motion blur framed in shot, this had lots of the motion blur out of the frame, which I feel was less effective. I also feel that this image had too much in the foreground; this was due to the time i took the picture, when there was lots of cars driving across the road at once. The large amount of foreground in this photo means that there is much less of the background visible, which reduces the depth shown in the photo. However, due to there being more cars in the photo, this image can be used as an example of the formal element of form. Each car would be considered a form, as would the building in the background.

This is a technique I will almost definitely use during my project. The majority of my project involves capturing burst shots while moving in a car and putting together in animation, therefore motion blur can be something I can explore within this.

No comments:

Post a Comment